28 July 2013

A Dual Inheritance; Joanna Hershon

A Dual InheritanceA Dual Inheritance by Joanna Hershon
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Having glanced at the other reviews, I know this is going against the crowd but... I just couldn't read this one.

You have two main characters, one Jewish and the other a WASP. Shouldn't they sound different? The Jew, Ed, sounds like a cross between the Godfather and a Raymond Chandler character - ok, not like any other Boston Jews of that age that I know (eg, my cousins) but fine. The WASP? Shouldn't he have a different voice? But here, the main difference is that Hugh doesn't swear as much as Ed. That's not enough for me. After 150 pages it just didn't matter: the plot was obvious, the characters boring, the writing lacking in... something.

No comments:

Post a Comment