04 July 2013

One Last Thing Before I Go; Jonathan Tropper

One Last Thing Before I GoOne Last Thing Before I Go by Jonathan Tropper
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Having heard the author speak about the book, I'd hoped for something a little more on the lines of Hoffman's Survival Lessons but longer, with more plot and humor. That's not quite the case here. Silver (who seems to be an American cousin of sorts to Wierd from Espedair Street) has spent the past seven years with his life on pause, living in a convenience apartment in a building filled with men who, like Silver, have lost their families through divorce. Then one day he suffers a TIA, ends up in the hospital and has the opportunity to change it all. The obvious choice is to have an operation to repair the tear in his aorta... but Silver's not the guy to make the obvious choice. Instead he decides to spend what's left of his life being a better man and a better father. Uh huh.

There were moments of real humor here along with moments of pathos. Those so-called teachable moments always have something just a little bit wrong with them, usually because Silver seems to now have a complete lack of censor on his tongue and those internal monologues? Not so internal. His family and friends at times veer into stereotype, but Tropper stops just before they become too predictable.

Copy provided by publisher.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this book but really liked the author's last one - This Is How I Leave You - have you read that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't. It's on my list of things to read (when I've whittled Mt. Bookpile down a few more...)

    ReplyDelete